Pages

Friday, December 30, 2016

2016: A Year in Review



That time of year again, folks!


1. What did you do in 2016 that you’d never done before?
Completed my thesis. Achieved a Master's Degree. Go me!

2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I said this time last year: "I never make resolutions. I just continue to live each day as it comes, and be grateful for what and who I have in my life. And to keep laughing."

I kept those. And I will continue to keep them.

Although I will confess to deciding to get fitter and healthier in 2017; I've even signed up for a 10K run. Not sure if ambitious or insane...


3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Aww man, I can never remember this! Let's see. Ex-colleague WW (who I still miss dearly) had her second child. Did anyone else pop this year? Nope, I'm pretty sure that's about it.


4. Did anyone close to you die?
A. Nan. Not related by blood, but I've known her pretty much all my life, and she and Ma were bosom friends. She passed after a painful battle with cancer. I miss her, but have found peace in knowing that her suffering is over.

Although...speaking of deaths...what the hell, 2016?!


5. What countries did you visit?
First time in India! Spent a long weekend in Bangalore with Doof. Absolutely loved it!
Went to Malaysia (Melaka, to be precise) with Nekowife.


6. What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016?
Wahahah still my driving licence! I'm such a lazy arse, omg. And now that I've become an Uber addict...what's the point of getting my licence, really? So much better to be chauffeured around. XD


7. What date from 2016 will remain etched upon your memory?
I don't remember dates all too well...perhaps that's a factor in my dismal History grade in school! Let's see anyway, hmm. August 19th is a good one! Was my birthday, had loads of fun with friends and colleagues, came home (alright, I staggered home) to find my certificate had arrived. So yeah, that's a good date.


8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
My thesis. While still working full-time. Again I say, go me!


9. What was your biggest failure?
As always, I failed to stop procrastinating. But stop procrastinating I shall! Starting in the new year, methinks...


10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Other than a few sniffles here and there and a bout of the 'flu, nothing much. Well, I did have a really bad episode of depression, but I'm now much better at dealing with it, or at least reaching out for help. I'm so blessed to have such a great support system.


11. What was the best thing you bought?
My new MacBook. Not that I've used it much; I've been so involved with so many other activities!


12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
My standard answer: Mum and BabyGirl. The Niece and nephews are pretty great too, and I'm always so proud of them.


13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Wow. WOW. I can't even begin to talk about this! A couple people I'm related to have displayed utterly appalling and disgusting behaviour, and it's so very disappointing. I feel sad for them, but after what they've said and done to my loved ones, I'm not going to bother trying to make amends. They've burned that bridge good and proper.


14. Where did most of your money go?
Uber, for sure. Watched several concerts and plays this year, and tickets for those aren't cheap either!


15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Getting to see Nekowife again! Getting to see Doof again! Ah, good times.


16. What song/album will always remind you of 2016?
Ya know, I think I'm going to scrap/change this question from next year. I don't associate music with the year. I associate it more with...people? events? feelings?


17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a. Happier or sadder? Oh, happier for sure!
b. Thinner or fatter? Wow. Definitely thinner. I lost about 10 kg in a couple months. To make it sound more impressive, that's a whopping 26 and a half pounds! 
c. Richer or poorer? Hmm. Richer, I would think. Less debt, more savings.


18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Reading. I participated in a Reading Bingo with Crisis, and well...didn't manage to make a bingo. I did read lots of fanfic, but my stash of unread books is getting larger and larger...


19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Slacking off. Procrastination will be the death of me. Unless I'm procrastinating that too!



20. How will you be spending/did you spend Christmas?
Oh, Christmas was busy, and just absolutely lovely. Couple weeks before Christmas, my team and I went out for dinner and drinks, and boy, was that an amazing night!

Got a half day on the 23rd, so was back by noon! Which meant that I actually had time to get stuff done and even have a nap. I actually slept at night on the 23rd, which is quite unheard of; it's almost tradition at this point that I don't get any sleep on the 23rd!

Christmas Mass was pretty early this year; we attended Christmas Eve mass, and then the whole clan assembled at Mum's as usual for supper and gift opening. Our neighbour (best neighbour ever!) cooked dinner for us, so Mum got a wee bit of a break.

Christmas Day itself was spent sleeping in, and then I went over to Bella's folks' place for lunch. Bro picked me up from there to go visit my Great Aunt, and we spent a lovely evening there.
Boxing Day was pretty busy too! Brunch with Auntie MM and her family over at Banana Leaf Apolo. Came home, napped with BabyGirl, then Mum's friend Jenn came over for dinner. Another late night!
Whew, that was a long rundown, and it's not even over yet!

Family Xmas party at home tonight, so that'll be a late night. And since we're on the topic of partying, tomorrow is NYE, and there'll be drinking and staying up late...so Sunday has been designated the Hangover (and watch Sherlock!) Day. And Monday will be spent on Recovery & Regret, before going back to work on Tuesday...


21. Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
Ok seriously, this is a ridiculous question, especially in this day and age. Who actually spends time on the phone?! Most of my calls are just quick ones, not actual chatting. But I did text and IM a lot!


22. Did you fall in love in 2016?
Nope. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm even capable of falling in love anymore...unless we're talking platonic love, agape, storge, etc. in which case, yes. Lots. Over and over.


23. How many one night stands in this last year?
;)


24. What was your favourite TV programme?
Stranger Things, hands down.


25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
'Hate' is such a strong word! Well, last year someone's mere presence annoyed me, and this year...still. Those couple people I mentioned earlier? I have no time for them any more.



26. What was the best book(s) you read?
Hmm. Sycamore Row by John Grisham, which is the sequel to A Time to Kill, was fairly interesting. It didn't grip me as much as A Time to Kill did, but it was still a decent read. I think Animal Farm was the best book this year though. I read it as a kid, but it makes a lot more sense as an adult. And with 2016 being the year it was, I figured some Orwellian dystopia, especially this one, was appropriate.


27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I've made several this year, one of which is that there are several country songs that I really, really love...
I discovered several artistes, e.g. Jake Owen, Chris Janson, The Glorious Sons. I rediscovered my love of Green Day. Thank goodness for Spotify!


28. What did you want and get?
To get to see Nekowife! A new laptop.


29. What did you want and not get?
More holidays. More sleep.


30. What were your favourite films of this year?
This one's easy: Deadpool.
Followed by Captain America: Civil War and Doctor Strange and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Oh and Finding Dory was good fun too. As was Ghostbusters.


31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Oh man, I'm now old enough to buy an HDB flat as a single! I had drinks at D10 with colleagues and Bella & Misstsy, then headed over to Crazy Elephant. Got home to see that two things had arrived for me: flowers from Doof, and my diploma.


32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
More travel, perhaps? This year has been...terrible, and yet...I'm still really happy.


33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2016?
Casual chic. Or so I like to think. XD


34. What kept you sane?
Music. Again, thank goodness for Spotify!


35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
It seems my heart still belongs to Chris Evans..



36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The US election. What a farce.


37. Who did you miss?
Hmm. My BabyGirl, especially when I was out of town.


38. Who was the best new person you met?
I did meet a few new people, but...nobody worth writing home about, methinks.


39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016.
Something that I first heard on Supernatural; although it's something I learnt a long time ago, this year it really hit home in so many ways.

"Family don't end in blood...but it doesn't start there either."


40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year?
This one could be seen as sad and depressing, but to me, it's inspirational and so motivational. And so very true.

You only get one life, so you'd gotta live it.
You only get one heart, so you'd better give it....

Don't matter how long we're here, it's never gonna be long enough. 
It ain't about the amount of years; it's about the amount of love. 
It don't matter if you're 18, 45 or 91; no matter what we do, we're never done. 
Everybody dies young.


----

2017. Let's do this.

No comments: