Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2015

2015: A Year in Review



Wait, what? A year in review, already?! And my last post was back in January?! Wow. Time really does fly when you're having a blast, eh?

2015 has been a pretty kickass year. It's ending off really really busy, as my dissertation is due in...eeps, 15 days!

But, as is tradition, I'm going to do this silly little thing.


1. What did you do in 2015 that you’d never done before?
Researched and wrote my thesis. Well, in the middle of writing it now.
Oh! I bought 4D for the first time! With my ang moh colleague too. It was mostly a joke, and we didn't win anything. But was still fun!


2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I never make resolutions. I just continue to live each day as it comes, and be grateful for what and who I have in my life. And to keep laughing.


3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
I'm just going to offend someone by forgetting, right?
One of my colleagues had her first kid. Another colleague's wife had their, what, 3rd? Ex-colleague Wen also had her first. Friend S-Man had his first kid as well. Friend RR had her first. Wow, this was a year of firsts!


4. Did anyone close to you die?
My BIL's grandmother passed on earlier this week, just after Christmas.


5. What countries did you visit?
Wow, I didn't travel this year either, huh. I went to Batam for a weekend, that's about it. This year has been crazy busy!


6. What would you like to have in 2016 that you lacked in 2015?
Ha, would you believe...it's still my driving licence!


7. What date from 2015 will remain etched upon your memory?
Hmm, good question. I don't remember any particular dates, just events. Really good events. Epic, even. :)


8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
My thesis. While still working full-time. Go me!


9. What was your biggest failure?
Failure, still not an option! I guess failure to stop procrastinating. That's...just the story of my life, it is.


10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I was pretty sick right before Christmas. Fever hit 40°C, I was weak and tired for days. Thank goodness I'm (almost) all better now!


11. What was the best thing you bought?
The best thing I bought...well, I'm loving this pair of M&S shoes I'm wearing. Didn't make any big ticket purchases this year...


12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
As always, Mum and BabyGirl. I'm also pretty proud of the Niece - she studied so hard this year for her A's!


13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Sigh. Same person as always. New person this year (there's always that one person...)
I've also been appalled by humanity in general. But I try not to dwell.


14. Where did most of your money go?
Taxis. Food. Gin & Tonics. :)


15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The impending births of friends' kids. :)


16. What song/album will always remind you of 2015?
Hello, by Adele. I love it, I hate it, it's everywhere.


17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a. Happier or sadder? Happier!
b. Thinner or fatter? About the same, perhaps fatter. Too much eating and drinking and merry-making!
c. Richer or poorer? Oh, definitely richer. Higher income, with minimal debt. My life rocks!


18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Oh god, sleep? I constantly need sleep! Also wish I'd read more. I miss reading for pleasure.


19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Every year, I slack off. Every year, I procrastinate. Every year, I tell myself I'll stop.
Maybe next year, I suppose.


20. How will you be spending/did you spend Christmas?
Family and feasting, of course! SO MUCH FAMILY. SO MUCH FOOD. Also had a lovely party with the colleagues. What a great team! Another Christmas party coming up this weekend.


21. Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
Who talks on the phone these days?! I'm gonna go with Mum.


22. Did you fall in love in 2015?
Nah. Too much effort. Lust? For sure. ;)


23. How many one night stands in this last year?
Still not spilling the beans on this one.


24. What was your favourite TV programme?
I barely watch TV. I guess Supernatural was the one I was really following? I did enjoy Brooklyn Nine-Nine.


25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Not to the point of hate, but there's this certain person whose mere presence annoys me.


26. What was the best book(s) you read?
For pleasure and leisure? I don't think I've even read one this year! But I read the Gruffalo and the Cat in the Hat and the Enormous Turnip over and over and over...


27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Oh, so many. The xx, We the Kings, George Ezra, Jack's Mannequin...


28. What did you want and get?
Wow, a lot, really. 


29. What did you want and not get?
Still haven't won the lottery!


30. What were your favourite films of this year?
Avengers: AoU, AntMan...oh god, definitely Jurassic World. That one was full of action and gorgeous people, and so much nostalgia.


31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
What did I do on my birthday? I think I went out for drinks with my colleagues.


32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
As awesome as this year has been, it would have been so much more satisfying if I'd completed my thesis earlier. Also, if I'd managed to see Nekowife. Haven't seen her in forever!


33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014?
Comfortable and casual.


34. What kept you sane?
BabyGirl. Ranting to Mum and the girls. G&Ts at D10.


35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Chris Evans. Still.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Feminism, the patriarchy, gender roles.


37. Who did you miss?
Same thing as last year:
Still miss my Gramps.
Always miss my boys when they're not around (and then long for peace and quiet when the tornadoes show up!).
I missed Shoes, when I didn't hang with her for ages.
I don't really miss Doof, until we start chatting again, then I realise that I have indeed missed him. Yes, that's Ki-logic for you.
Definitely missed Nekowife lots. Perhaps I'll go see her in 2015 2016!


38. Who was the best new person you met?
Hmm. Didn't meet anyone worth writing about, honestly.


39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2015.
That the easiest way to let go really is just to let go.


40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year?
You've gotta swim, don't let yourself sink. Just find the horizon, I promise you it's not as far as you think.


2015 was a year that just went by in a flash. Nothing amazing happened, nothing tragic happened. I spent lots of time with friends, both old and new. I spent lots of time with family. (I'm still 'fun Aunt', so there's that.) I'm strangely excited for 2016.

New year. Bring it on.

No comments: