Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Food for Thought

I had the afternoon off yesterday, and I went for lunch with Mum & Baby Girl, Sister Vee and her clan, and Nan. We went to this delightful little place on Queen Street called Mary's Kafe. Bad spelling aside, it's brilliant! It's cosy, everyone's warm and friendly, and the food? The food is Eurasian cuisine. It's good Eurasian cuisine.

The babi pongteh was brilliant, as was the curry and the meatballs. Mary's fruit cake is to die for, and her carrot cake is fantastic. Her sugee cake isn't quite as lovely though. If I may say so myself though, my sugee cake is a lot nicer.

But the best thing of all? The bun susi. Baby Girl loved it SO much, as did the rest of us. I have now been inspired! I have decided to make bun susi for Godson(to-be)'s baptism. That leaves me just under two weeks to experiment, to make it perfect!

For dinner, we went to Popeyes® at Cathay. I hadn't eaten there in so long! Great chicken, fantastic mashed potatoes, brilliant fries....but the one thing that cannot be missed: the biscuits. When they're fresh and hot, they're just heavenly. I was so engrossed in conversation with Nix and Shay that I totally forgot to grab a half dozen to bring home. I only realised it when they closed! But no matter. I'll grab some for Baby Girl next time I'm in town. Or...better yet, I'll just bake some! Fresh out of the oven, with butter and jam... or fresh out of the oven with homemade gravy... Oh wow, inspiration's hit me yet again.

Went to Marché® for Sunday lunch after mass with Mum, Dad, Baby Girl, Sister S and her clan, and Nan. We managed to get a table for all nine of us (yes, Baby Godson counts as a full person; he was given a Marché® card too) right in a cosy little corner which was just perfect for us. The food, as always, was lovely - savoury crepes, rösti with cervelat, fried calamari, pork knuckles, all washed down with ginger beer. And then...dessert. Oh. My. God. Dessert. The bread and butter pudding (with vanilla cream) is a family favourite, so that went down well, of course. But the trump card had to be (drum roll please)...

The apple pie. What's that? The simple and humble apple pie was my favourite dish of the day? Oh, my dear readers, there was nothing simple nor humble about this apple pie. It was almost 4" high. The crust was tasty, yet not overpowering. The apples...oh wow. The pie was just chockful of perfectly sliced apples, cooked to just the right degree, with a lovely amount of cinnamon, and a generous dollop of cream on the top.

Once again, I've been inspired. The simple, yet satisfying apple pie. Comfort food at its best.

So, as ever, my to-bake list has grown yet again. :)

No comments: