Pages

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Family Fun

Yesterday was Cousin's 8th birthday. She's just a lovely, gorgeous, funny and precocious child. It was fun to watch the kiddies playing, even though their running about makes me quite tired. How do their parents do it?

The kids' favourite part of the evening might well have been the piƱata. No surprises there, I'd join in if it wouldn't be so frowned upon. Loved catching up with the family, but bigger get-togethers does mean less individual interaction, I think.

Aunt D. cooked up a storm; there was stew and curry and chicken nuggets and chips. Plus there were bowls of nachos and salsa, plates of marshmallows, glasses of pastilles and jelly beans....and I couldn't partake in any of it! Not even the birthday cake! But it wasn't as difficult as I'd thought it would be, though. Helped that it was an informal thing, rather than a sit-down dinner. But ohhhh....the thought of that delectable chocolate cake....Kudos to Bro-in-Law 1 for graciously eating my piece on my behalf. And bless him, he tried to...well, sugarcoat it, by telling me that it wasn't very good anyway. Which was clearly a lie, so we had a laugh about that.

The definitely lowlight of the evening was listening to my sisters discuss childbirth. Nothing about bonding with their child, not a word on the beautiful miracle that is bringing forth a life....nope, none of that. It was all the about the messy bits. The messy, graphic, painful bits. The parts that had me wincing and crossing my legs. The things that I shall not mention here, for the sake of my readers. Even though one of them is a mother of four, and could have joined in that discussion with much gusto.

After all that, it'll be a bloody miracle if I decide to go through childbirth.

Got home pretty late, so slept in today....and now I'm considering the possibility of a nap. I should probably shower at some point today too. Still sitting around in my t-shirt and sleep shorts. But what's the point of a lazy Sunday if you don't laze properly, eh?

No comments: