Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Drink Up Me 'Earties, Yo Ho!

I'm convinced that I was a pirate in a past life. (I'm a bit of a pirate in this life too, but that's another story altogether.) I love the smell of the sea, I love being on the ocean, I love the salt spray in my face. I sailed the seven seas as a child, and I've never quite lost my sea legs. And most of all?

I heart rum.

Now, Shoes made a comment asking what it is about me and mint this Christmas. She has a valid point; three out of four of the recipes I posted in recent days featured mint. Simply because there's something about mint that reminds me of Christmas. It's probably all those candy canes I used to consume as a kid. Besides, mint is such a refreshing flavour that's perfect for Singapore.

But...not all of the world celebrates Christmas in tropical climes. And sometimes, even in Singapore, the rainy nights do get a tad chilly. So it warms me and the cockles of my pirate's heart, to savour a mug of a drink that does not contain a drop of mint.

Hot Buttered Rum.


Ingredients

For the batter:
225g butter
225g sugar
200g brown sugar
2 cups vanilla ice cream



For the drink itself:
dark rum
boiling water
ground nutmeg and/or cinnamon
whipped cream
cinnamon stick


Directions
1. Combine sugars and butter in a saucepan. Cook over low heat until butter is melted.

2. Put ice cream in a bowl. Add the butter and sugar mixture, and beat until smooth. Store in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to use.

3. Fill a mug 1/4 full with the mixture.

4. Add rum and boiling water. Stir well. Put whipped cream on top. Sprinkle with nutmeg and/or cinnamon.
Serve with cinnamon stick stirrer.

5. Tastes like Christmas!



Now, I do realise that both beverage recipes I posted are alcoholic. That doesn't mean the kidlets can't enjoy Christmas beverages too! For kids not of Eurasian descent, simply substitute the rum, using molasses thinned with pineapple juice and flavored with almond extract.


Or just send them to bed early so you can carouse all night.




No comments: