Pages

Friday, June 17, 2011

D is for Dictionary

The other day on the way to work, I heard a DJ on the radio talking about some album or other. She said, "This is the ultimate collection, it's the PEnultimate collection!"

Then today, my sis shoots me a text:
"Martha Stewart just said: we have the penultimate actress on our show today."



Yes, language is constantly evolving, but that's often because of people not bothering to really understand the meaning of a word before using it, to the point that the "new" meaning becomes the accepted meaning.

Do YOU know the meaning of "penultimate"? Why don't you look it up and get back to me? No wait, let me rephrase that in what seems to be the popular usage now:

Why don't you look it up and revert to me?



I'd like to teach the world to speak proper bloody English.

No comments: