Pages

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Vote 2011

Singapore goes to the Polls today.

I've refrained from posting anything on this blog; all my political statements and opinions have been on my Facebook page. But for today, I will make a special blog post.

Singapore goes to the Polls today.

It was mentioned to me by a friend who's a US citizen, just last week, that it seems like the big election news isn't so much the issues at hand, it's that there's an election at all! As I explained to him, the general election happens once every 5 years. But the ruling party has been in power for the past 50 years. Most people never had to vote, for there was no contest in their constituency, and the ruling party has managed to instil fear in our people. That if you don't vote for them, that if you speak up against them, the law will come down on you and your family. That your family will be blackmarked for life.

Well, all that is changing now. We now have credible opposition candidates, full of brain and full of heart. We have sincere opposition candidates, with the courage to stand up and say "I want to make a difference." The ruling party is being shaken up, and perhaps finally, finally! the voices of the common people might get heard. This is the most highly contested election since Independence, and it has its place in the history of Singapore.

Singapore goes to the Polls today.

With all the restrictions in the tightly-controlled mainstream media, our people could never get the full picture, could never make an informed choice. In the last election, political bloggers had to still their fingers. People spoke in hushed tones about the government. This year, I look around, and I see a change. With the loosening of the reins on the Internet, Singaporeans finally have a glimpse at what freedom of the press could possibly be like. Online newspapers have been telling the news that doesn't appear in the mainstream media. Political bloggers have been typing furiously. And the people have been making their voices heard through social networks.

Will the ruling party lose their mandate? No. Will they lose the power that they have over Singaporeans, especially the older generation who feel that they should be grateful for all that the ruling party has done? No. Will the margin be narrowed, will more alternative voices appear in parliament to speak up for the areas of society that have been left behind? Oh, I do hope so.

Singapore goes to the Polls today.

I can see my Polling Station from my bedroom window (also, my dining room window and my balcony, but I'm in my bedroom right now). There's a pretty good queue now, and voting doesn't open for another couple minutes.

I am a first-time voter, having been unable to vote in the last election for my constituency went uncontested, and in the election before that, I just wasn't old enough.

In the past 10 days, I have been inundated with information. I have participated in countless discussions. I have scoured the internet for articles and videos. I have attended rallies. I have reflected, and I have made my decision.

Singapore goes to the polls today.


Today, I vote for Singapore.


No comments: