Pages

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Marzipan

'Marzipan' really is a strange word. Go on then, say 'marzipan' three times, and tell me it doesn't sound really odd.

For some reason, when I hear 'marzipan', I think of Enid Blyton books. Especially stuff like the Magic Faraway Tree and the boarding schools - St. Clare's and Malory Towers.
I really can't remember the books well enough to say why. I think there must have been a magic land, with lots of marzipan houses? Or the girls used to eat marzipan during their midnight feasts?

Anyway. Marzipan. It's nommilicious, and sugee cake just isn't the same without it. Problem is, marzipan is really expensive in the stores, and not all supermarkets carry it. And yet, it's so easy to make!

Next time you need marzipan, don't bother running out to the shops. Just make your own!

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups granulated sugar
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
4 cups ground almonds (or almond meal)
2 egg whites
Powdered sugar for dusting

METHOD:

  1. Sprinkle powdered sugar over workspace .Fill your sink or a large bowl with cold water.
  2. Place the sugar and 2/3 cup water in a large heavy saucepan and heat gently, stirring, until the sugar dissolves.
  3. Add the cream of tartar and turn up the heat. Bring to a boil and cover, boiling, for 3 minutes.
  4. Uncover and boil until the temperature reaches soft-ball stage, 240 degrees on a candy thermometer.
  5. Place the bottom of the saucepan in the cold water, stirring the sugar mixture constantly until it becomes thick and creamy.
  6. Stir in the ground almonds and the egg whites, the place back over low heat and stir for 2 minutes more until the mixture is thick.
  7. Spoon the marzipan onto your prepared work surface, and turn it with a metal spatula until it cools down enough to touch.
  8. Coat your hands in powdered sugar and begin to knead the marzipan, working it until it is smooth and pliant.
  9. Marzipan can now be used immediately or stored by wrapping it in plastic wrap and keeping it in an airtight container.

Alternatively, you can just go to Phoon Huat and get the 2kg block. I saw it, thought of getting it, and didn't, thinking that 2kg is far too much.

How much marzipan did I use in the end? About 2kg.  Well done, me.

But hey, baking's all done! Now to put the icing on the final cake. After I cover the cake with marzipan.

2 comments:

Swatee G said...

I was at a Deli today and discovered marzipan covered in dark chocolate - it's close the holidays, and I was like.. WHY NOT! lol

6 little marzipan squares later, the word marzipan was still STUCK in my head.. I knew why.. the Magic Far away tree! I remember the Saucepan man bit off the door knob of a home in some strange magical land, 'cuz it was made of marzipan.. he got sent to Jail for it (he ate his way out, the walls were cake) :)

So i decided to google "Enid Blyton Marzipan" and your blog came up.. had to share it with u! :)

Ki said...

Don't know if you'll see this comment, Swatee...

Hahahaha, that's brilliant! And yes, I remember that story now! Oh, Saucepan Man.

I now have a hankering for the Enchanted Wood stories again, to read of Moonface and Silky and Mr. Whatshisname!

Was the marzipan chocolate you found Ritters, by any chance? I love that stuff! Thanks for commenting! :)