Pages

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Birthdays

The first batch of family birthdays have just passed, and we get a hiatus for a couple months before the big wave hits us.

A couple weeks ago, my sister turned 23. It seems just yesterday that I was writing about her birthday, and now another one has rolled by. In the past year, she's become more attached to me, and I've become more protective of her. I've seen her suffer, I've observed her lying almost lifeless in a hospital bed for months on end, and I've watched her regain her strength and health. And I am oh so immensely grateful that she is still with us.

Couple days ago, my mother celebrated her birthday. She's the strongest, most amazing woman I know, and I could have lost her last year. I've learnt to appreciate her more, and appreciate the time we have together. That said, I have yet to stop taking her for granted...but I believe that's something that all children do, no matter how old they are - taking parents for granted, and then being taken for granted by your own kids...isn't that part of the circle of Life?

But I digress. I'm so glad and grateful that Mum is still with us, and am oh so proud of her for coming as far as she has.

Today is Aunt D's birthday. When I was a kid, my cousin and I realised that Mum and Aunt D's birthdays are a mere two days apart. When we pointed it out to them, one of them (I can't clearly recall which) claimed that they were twins. Mum was born first, but Aunt D took her time to come out, only being born two days later. Innocent children that we were, we swallowed it whole. I believed for ages that they were twins!

And people wonder where I get my weird sense of humour from...

I'm looking forward to my birthday. Sure, it'll mean that I'm one step away from the big 3-0, but it'll also mark the passing of another year well lived.

In the meantime, I'm going to celebrate my un-birthday.


"I mean, what is an un-birthday present?"
"A present given when it isn't your birthday, of course."
Alice considered a little. "I like birthday presents best," she said at last.
"You don't know what you're talking about!" cried Humpty Dumpty.
"How many days are there in a year?"
"Three hundred and sixty-five," said Alice.
"And how many birthdays have you?"
"One."
- Lewis Carroll

No comments: