Pages

Friday, July 10, 2009

Not so ugly after all!

You hear so much about the ugly singaporean that one expects all Singaporeans to be selfish and apathetic.

Just came back from the shops, and I had a lovely encounter.

I bought two cartons of juice, and was at the checkout, waiting my turn. I'm up next, and the lady behind me points to the juice and asks if that was mine. When I replied in the affirmative, she said that I get one carton free (buy two, get one free! Bargain!). I was surprised, as I'd totally missed the sign (which was, of course, right in front of the juice. Blind, much?) I was going to grab another carton, when she puts one of her juice cartons on the counter and said "Here, take this one, I'll get another," and she steps out of the queue to get another one for herself.

It might seem like a tiny thing, but it was nice of her, and I appreciate it.

Sometimes, it's good living in the "ghetto" of Singapore.

No comments: